Monday - December 02, 2013

From: The Woodlands, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Plant Identification, Vines
Title: Identity of invasive vine in The Woodlands, Texas

QUESTION:

What is the invasive vine covering trees in The Woodlands, Texas?

ANSWER:

There are several possibilities.  You can search the Texas Invasives database and find the invasive vines that have been reported as invasive in Texas or potentially invasive in Texas.  Choose "Vine" from the All Habits slot in the "SEARCH BY DURATION OR HABIT' box.

Here are the ones that I found that are high-climbing and likely to cover trees.  The vines below have been identified in Montgomery County or in nearby Harris County. 

Cuscuta japonica (Japanese dodder)  The Early Detection & Distribution Mapping System (EDDMapS) shows it occurring in adjacent Harris County.   Click on Texas on the map and it will display the counties.

Discorea bulbifera (Air potato)  The EDDMapS shows it occurring in Montgomery County.  Click on Texas on the map and it will display the counties.

Hedera helix (English ivy)  The EDDMapS shows it occurring in Montgomery County.  Click on Texas on the map and it will display the counties.

Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle)  The EDDMapS shows it occurring in Montgomery County.  Click on Texas on the map and it will display the counties.

Macfadyena unguis-cati (Catclaw-vine)  The EDDMapS shows it occurring in adjacent Harris County.  Click on Texas on the map and it will display the counties.

Paederia foetida (Skunk vine)  The EDDMapS shows it occurring in adjacent Harris County.  Click on Texas on the map and it will display the counties.

Pueraria montana var. lobata (Kudzu)  The EDDMapS shows it occurring in Montgomery County.  Click on Texas on the map and it will display the counties.

At the bottom of each species page there are links under SEARCH ONLINE to more information and photos of the plants.