From: Houston, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Need to identify leaf extensions on the leaves of an elm sapling in Houston, Tx.

QUESTION:

I have an elm sapling which grows strange leave extensions on its leaves. Can I send you a picture? Tree looks healthy

ANSWER:

I am not envisioning what kind of extension you are talking about, so a picture would certainly helpful. However, we no longer accept photographs of plants for identification because we did not have enough staff or volunteers to handle the volume of photos we received.  We do, however, show links on our Plant Identification  page to several plant identification forums that will accept photos for identification.

Here’s a stab in the dark; I just answered a question about insect induced  galls on plant leaves, and some could be described as leaf extensions. Check out the images at this website to see if any thing looks familiar.
Another example

And another