Sunday - January 17, 2016

From: Pipe Creek, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Trees
Title: Is Goldenball leadtree really evergreen, as we state?

QUESTION:

Please would you confirm that Goldenball leadtree Leucaena retusa is evergreen as stated on this website and not deciduous as stated by Wasowski in Native Texas Plants? Thanks

ANSWER:

I'm afraid I cannot confirm that the Leucaena retusa (Goldenball leadtree) is evergreen because it is not.  We made a mistake, as indicated by this and other references stating that it is deciduous and by my own observation of on example growing at the Wildflower Center.  In this instance the Aggie website trumps the UT site.

Goldenball leadtree
Leucaena retusa

Goldenball leadtree
Leucaena retusa