Monday - January 28, 2013

From: Routt, CO
Topic: General Botany
Title: Experiment to detect presence of sugar in cellulose from Routt CO

QUESTION:

My teacher ask me to plan an experiment to detect the presence of sugar in cellulose. I know that cellulose are abundant at the stem, and sugar here is glucose. I wonder how to conduct this experiment since cellulose is very strong to breakdown.

ANSWER:

We are sorry, but this is apparently a chemistry problem. Mr. Smarty Plants answers questions involving the growth, propagation and protection of plants native to North America. We are gardeners, not chemists. We suggest you refer to some of your chemistry texts or visit your school library in a search for more assistance. Sorry we couldn't help you.