Suppport the plant database you love!

Monday - September 24, 2012

Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Shrubs
Title: Failing to thrive of non-native rose bushes in Austin

QUESTION:

I live in NW Austin and I have lost one knockout rose bush this summer and it looks like another one is failing. The leaves on a cane turn yellow then brown. I do not see whiteflies or black spots or powdery mildew. What should I do?

ANSWER:

From a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer:

"We are assuming you are referring to the Knock-Out rose, which is a recently hybridized floribunda rose. The Knock-Out is a trade name. There are very few members of the rosa genus native to North America; most, including the floribundas, are native to China. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. This plant is out of our area of expertise, but the link above will take you to a good article about them."