Thursday - June 18, 2015

From: Blanco, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Dying Damianita in Blanco, TX.

QUESTION:

My Damianita bloomed its heart out and since all the rain here in Blanco the biggest plants turned brown and look dead. I've trimmed back some and do see green stems. Will they come back? How far should I trim them back or should I leave them. I know they don't like water. They are about 3 years old and were beautiful. Now look dead. Thank you for your help.

ANSWER:

You are correct; Damianita (Chrisactinia mexicana), a native to dry, rocky habitats, resents being waterlogged.  You did the right thing by cutting your plants back, but only time will tell whether or not they will recover.  A trick to help Damianita to survive rainy weather is to plant it in well-drained soil on a slope or on a mound above the surrounding soil-level.