Wednesday - March 25, 2015

From: Houston, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders
Title: Mexican Lime Turning Yellow

QUESTION:

What causes moderate yellowing of 40% of the leaves of an 8 year old Mexican Lime Tree that is booming and blooming right now with lots of thick new growth? I used a general garden fertilizer a few weeks ago.

ANSWER:

Kurt Nolte from the University of Arizona, Yuma County Cooperative Extension has an extensive webpage on Mexican Lime (Citrus aurantifolia). Since Citrus are not natives, Mr. Smarty Plants is relying on other experts to answer your question. This includes the University of California Integrated Pest Management website which has a good pictorial page about Citrus problems. Some of the problems that could cause yellowing leaves are too moist soil, nitrogen deficiency, citrus greening, manganese deficiency, potassium deficiency, iron deficiency, cold weather, and sunburn. Survey the plant to see where the yellow leaves are occurring (lower leaves, new growth) and see if your symptoms match any on the University of California page. But the good news is that your plant is blooming profusely and has lots of thick new growth.