Thursday - September 20, 2012

From: Edmond, OK
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Pests, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Weeds in Buffalograss from Edmond OK

QUESTION:

We have a patch of buffalograss surrounded by patio/flower garden/vegetable garden. We like B-grass, but are getting a lot of weeds despite preemergents, and some bermuda had appeared. Are there herbicides safe for use on buffalo grass? Is there a sure-fire way to identify bermuda in a buffalo grass lawn (so we can dig it out!) Thank you

ANSWER:

Last question first: Since bermudagrass is not native to North America, we will have no information on it in our Native Plant Database. However, here is an article from The Garden Counselor on Bermuda Grass Pictures. This article also has links to several others that should help you with your commendable project.

Since we knew someone was going to ask this question, we have already prepared a How-To Article on Native Lawns: Buffalograss that pretty well covers the subject.

Buffalograss
Bouteloua dactyloides

Buffalograss
Bouteloua dactyloides

Buffalograss
Bouteloua dactyloides