Suppport the plant database you love!

Thursday - July 12, 2012

Topic: Problem Plants
Title: Are there prescribed burn professionals in central Texas?

QUESTION:

I am looking for someone to hire for a controlled hillside burn. Can you recommend someone to hire?

ANSWER:

The term land management professionals use for the type of service you seek is prescribed burn.  That is not to say that their land management burns are uncontrolled, just that prescribed burn better describes what they actually do.

Whether or not you ultimately decide to employ a prescribed burn professional, you should educate yourself about the benefits and issues involved.  A simple web search using the term "prescribed burn" will yield a wealth of information of the subject.  Your county's AgriLife Extension Service agent should be able to provide additional information of value to you.  For example, they might point you in the direction of the Prescribed Burn Alliance of Texas, a group dedicated to the use of prescribed burning as a land management tool.  You will find more helpful information on their website: pbatexas.org.  Here is an excellent publication by the Texas Coastal Bend Prescribed Burn Association.

As a rule, we do not give recommendations for commercial ventures or products within Ask Mr. Smarty Plants.