Tuesday - April 10, 2012

From: Fredericksburg, TX
Title: Vines to Complement a Fence
Answered by: Janice Kvale

QUESTION:

I have a 3' weathered picket fence that I want to plant a flowering vine on part of it. The vine must be perennial, tolerate full sun and low watering. Is there anything besides trumpet, cross vine, confederate jasmine that I can use there? I have the ones mentioned already in my yard. Thank you, Donna

ANSWER:

You already have some lovely vines with orange or white flowers. Below I've researched several vine species for you, some with unusual blossoms. These native vines attract birds and butterflies. All these suggestions are flowering perennial vines that like full sun and tolerate low moisture. Be aware as with any new planting, adequate water is required to ensure a good start.

You may also want to take a look at the rest of the vines listed on our Plant Database. To do so, use the Combination Search, enter your location (Texas), habit (vines), and duration (perennial). Then indicate full sun and dry for light requirement and moisture. There are other options such as bloom time and blossom color, if you have a preference.

You can find a Supplier from our list close to your area. Some vines will be for sale at the Wildflower Center Plant Sale April 13-15.

Here are the ones I found:

Acleisanthes obtusa (Berlandier's trumpets) produces a fragrant white/pink blossom that opens at night.

Clematis drummondii (Drummond's clematis) produces "masses of silky, feathery plumes" that are white. An attractive and unusual appearing blossom. Available at the Plant Sale.

Clitoria mariana (Atlantic pigeonwings) has delicate, pea-like flowers of pink/blue.

Lonicera albiflora (Western white honeysuckle) is a white version of honeysuckle.

Matelea biflora (Purple milkweed vine) is another vine with an unusual purple/brown fuzzy-appearing blossom.

Perhaps you would like one of the morning glory species:

Ipomoea lindheimeri (Lindheimer's morning-glory) has a blue blossom and

Merremia dissecta (Alamo vine) has white blossoms. Both are available at the Plant Sale.

Or consider one of the passion flowers:

Passiflora affinis (Bracted passionflower) produces a wiry-looking yellow/green blossom and

Passiflora incarnata (Purple passionflower) has a lovely more traditional pink/blue/purple flower and is also available at the Plant Sale.

Berlandier's trumpets
Acleisanthes obtusa

Old man's beard
Clematis drummondii

Atlantic pigeonwings
Clitoria mariana

Western white honeysuckle
Lonicera albiflora

Purple milkweed vine
Matelea biflora

Lindheimer's morning-glory
Ipomoea lindheimeri

Alamo vine
Merremia dissecta

Bracted passionflower
Passiflora affinis