Sunday - June 18, 2006

From: Houston, TX
Title: Native plants for shady small spaces in Houston, TX

QUESTION:

What are the best plants and flowers to plant in small spaces in an urban area in Houston, Texas? I have several flower beds that are 3 foot wide and 10-12 foot long that get half day sun. The areas would be watered every other day for 5 to 10 minutes.

ANSWER:

Here are suggestions for native plants that will do well in small spaces in partial shade in the Houston area. These are commercially available and should provide blooms in a variety of colors from early spring till late fall. They are all perennials or annuals that reseed themselves.

Pigeonberry (Ravina humilis)
Red columbine (Aquiligea canadensis)
Betony (Stachys coccinea)
Zexmenia (Wedelia texana)
Fall obedient plant (Physostegia virginiana)
Larkspur (Delphinium carolinianum)
Coreopsis (Coreopsis grandiflora)
Scarlet sage (Salvia coccinea)
Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta)

You can search for sources of native plants in our National Suppliers Directory and from the Houston Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas.