Suppport the plant database you love!

Friday - March 19, 2010

From: Denton, TX
Title: Perennial vine for full sun, Denton, TX
Answered by: Amy Johnson

QUESTION:

I would like to grow a perennial vine that would tolerate full sun during the day. A flowering or non-flowering is fine. I do NOT want anything that is poisonous, i.e. Carolina jasmine, since this will be in a deep planter next to the front door.

ANSWER:

We found three vines that suit your requirements, and none of them have poisonous parts.

From our Native Plant Database: 

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine) - evergreen, reaching 50 ft. in length, blooms red, yellow March to May, low water use, sun or part shade

Lonicera albiflora (western white honeysuckle) -  4 ft., deciduous, blooms white March to May, sun or part shade

Passiflora incarnata (purple passionflower). - 12 to 36 ft., deciduous, blooms pink, blue, purple April to September, low water use, sun or part shade

Bignonia capreolata

Lonicera albiflora

Passiflora incarnata