Sunday - September 13, 2009

From: Ocala, FL
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Itchy hands from handling Lantana plants

QUESTION:

I am in Ocala,FL. I pick up with my hands branches from a cut down Lantana Plant. My hands are very itchy, what can I do. THANK YOU FOR YOU.

ANSWER:

Both the Poisonous Plants of North Carolina and the Botanical Dermatology Database list Lantana camara, native to Central and South America, as causing dermatitis as well as much more serious consequences if ingested.  You should definitely wear protective clothing (gloves, long-sleeved shirt, long pants, sock and shoes) when handling lantana since you are obviously sensitive to it.  To relieve the itchy skin, you should visit a pharmacy and ask a pharmacist to help you find some preparation that will counteract the itching.  If it persists, then you should see a dermatologist.