Host an Event Volunteer Join Tickets

Support the plant database you love!

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions

Please forgive us, but Mr. Smarty Plants has been overwhelmed by a flood of mail and must take a break for awhile to catch up. We hope to be accepting new questions again soon. Thank you!

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.

 
rate this answer
1 rating

Wednesday - August 19, 2009

From: San Marcos, TX
Region: Southwest
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Toxicity of Yucca leaves San Marcos, TX
Answered by: Amy Johnson

QUESTION:

Can you tell me if Yucca constricta leaves are poisonous? I ran into one at night and the next morning had a hive-like, VERY itchy rash.

ANSWER:

The roots, at least, of Yucca constricta (Buckley's yucca) do contain saponins, which, while toxic to humans, are usually poorly absorbed and therefore do not usually irritate unless you are sensitive or allergic to them.  Incidentally, beneficial uses of these same saponins have been found for humans as well, usually involving cooking them to remove any toxicity.  You mentioned the leaves, and it is possible that some of the sap containing saponins from the plant could have escaped upon contact and caused the intense irritation in your skin, especially if you are sensitive or allergic to it.  It's also possible that there was more than just the Yucca itself involved - other pollen or bacteria could have been on the leaf or even your skin to begin with, and the abrasion caused by contact may have allowed one of those to penetrate and therefore irritate the surrounding skin.  Hopefully your rash is healing now - such a rash sounds very yucca!


Yucca constricta

Yucca constricta

Yucca constricta

 

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Is carrotwood poisonous to Boston Terrier in Rancho Cucamonga CA?
July 20, 2009 - My Boston Terrier always goes to our carrotwood tree and licks the base. He gets so excited that he drools all over the place? Why does this tree cause this reaction in our dog? Is it poisonous to ...
view the full question and answer

is the rainbow Eucalyptus poisonous to horses in FL?
May 24, 2011 - Is the Rainbow Eucalyptus Tree poisonous to horses?
view the full question and answer

Toxicity of Texas Mountain Laurel seeds to livestock and dogs?
March 09, 2011 - Are the seeds of the Texas Mountain Laurel poisonous to livestock or dogs? Thanks
view the full question and answer

Information on Royal Empress tree
May 01, 2008 - Would like to have some information on the royal empress tree; it is a non-native tree.
view the full question and answer

poisonous landscaping plants in New Mexico
November 21, 2011 - Mr. Smarty Plants, I have been given the task of finding non poisonous plants and shrubbery to add to our new children's playground. This is a Head Start playground so I have to make sure anything w...
view the full question and answer

Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.