Tuesday - July 21, 2009

From: Corpus Christi, TX
Topic: Meadow Gardens, Planting, Propagation, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Need native grasses to re-introduce on land in Live Oak County, Texas.

QUESTION:

How do I find out what type of grass is native and how to reintroduce it (once we get some rain)? The area is southern Live Oak County approx 10 miles north of Orange Grove TX, about 2 miles from Lake Corpus Christi; rural -- 6 acres; half cleared of everything except mesquite trees (plus st augustine that previous owner planted; half natural -- mesquite, huisache, cenizo, acacia and yet to be identified bushes??? Soil seems to be fairly sandy. Thanks for your time.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants can help with everything except the rain!

For native grasses, go to the Recommended Species page and and click South Texas on the map. Then go to the NARROW YOUR SEARCH box on the right side of the page. Select Texas under STATE, Grass/Grass-like under GENERAL APPEARANCE,and  Perennial under LIFE SPAN. Check Sun for LIGHT REQUIREMENT, and Moist for SOIL MOISTURE. Scroll down and click the Narrow your search button, and you will get a list of 5 commercially available native plant species suitable for planned landscapes in South Texas. Visit our Suppliers Directory to locate businesses that sell native plants or seeds or provide professional landscape or consulting services in this state.

Next I am going to refer you to our  How to Articles page and direct you to three articles that will address different aspects of the project you are undertaking.

Getting Started  

Meadow Gardening 

Recreating a Prairie 

Here is a previous answer that has a lot of good information on this topic.