Tuesday - February 17, 2009

From: Stokesdale, NC
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Fast-growing hedge for North Carolina.

QUESTION:

I am looking for a fast-grownig evergreen hedge that can be kept no taller than 6 feet. It will be grown in partal sun facing north

ANSWER:

We can think of no better choice for your hedge than Morella cerifera (wax myrtle).  Native to the Southeast, it is one of the toughest, most versatile plants known.  Wax myrtle will grow in virtually any soil or sun condions.  It's fast growing, evergreen and lovely.  As a bonus, its foliage is wonderfully fragrant when pruned.  Wax myrtle is soft textured, easy to work with and makes an excellent hedge.  It may be injured at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.