Suppport the plant database you love!

Tuesday - January 20, 2009

From: Easton, PA
Title: Source for eastern red cedar trees for Pennsylvania

QUESTION:

Please help, Mr. Smarty Pants! I live in Easton PA, and I would like to create an instant screen on my property line using Eastern Redcedar trees. I was hoping to find 5 to 6 foot trees. Most places only provide young trees (1' to 18 inches). Can you suggest how I might locate a local supplier of this looked over tree? I like them because they are indiginous, do well near my black walnut trees, and attract birds. I found a place called Willoway Nurseries in NY, but they are too far away. Thank you!

ANSWER:

Just about the time we were about to answer your question on Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar), we got your second request to ignore this one. Oh, well. We gave you another way to find nurseries carrying native plants in that answer. You might also want to look at this USDA Forest Service website with details on the culture of the tree. Although we have seen information that they are easy to transplant, we don't agree. Generally, the method of propagation suggested is by seed; however, that lengthens the time before you have grown plants and there is a low level of germination from the seeds. You know, nothing is "instant." No matter what plant you select, it will take a while for your screen to develop.  Follow the plant link above to our webpage on that tree.

Juniperus virginiana

Juniperus virginiana

Juniperus virginiana

Juniperus virginiana