Monday - September 01, 2008

From: wimberley,, TX
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Is Smooth Sumac deer resistant

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I noticed there was no deer resistant rating for smooth sumac in your plant data base. Aromatic sumac is rated as 'high'. Do you have an opinion on deer resistance for smooth sumac? The reason I'm asking is because the West Texas Nursery has these plants this year and we want to have deer resistant sumacs, if possible. Thank you in advance for a reply.

ANSWER:

All sumac species (Rhus spp.) are generally resistant to browsing by deer and other mammal herbivory.  Assuming growing conditions are favorable Rhus glabra (smooth sumac) should be an excellent choice for your garden.

Smooth sumac
Rhus glabra