Suppport the plant database you love!

Sunday - July 03, 2016

From: Baltimore, MD
Topic: Deer Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Erosion Control, Groundcovers, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Groundcover for Maryland Slope in Deer Country

QUESTION:

I have a 20-30% grade hill in Maryland. I am looking for a groundcover plant (for example ivy) that I can plant on the hill. I have the following issues: clay soil, deer, full sun, limited water source - rain water, need to prevent hill erosion, and a weed problem - hoping to choke them out with my groundcover plants.

ANSWER:

Your challenges narrowed the list of possibilties significantly! First a look at the Native Plant Database for Maryland plants that grow in full sun and dry conditions (because of the slope) revealed a substantial list of possible groundcover plants that fall into the short shrub or vine category. Then the list was used to check the deer resistant species list and about half of the plants were removed. The end result is below. The vines will perhaps be a better groundcover plant than the shrubs to choke out your existing weeds. You may need to trial some plants in a small area to see which ones work the best for your situation. Good luck!

Some smaller native shrubs for full sun and dry conditions include ...

Symphoricarpos albus (common snowberry)

Rhus trilobata (fragrant sumac)

Gaylussacia baccata (black huckleberry)

Vines for use as possible groundcover plants ...

Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper)

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine)

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Black huckleberry
Gaylussacia baccata

Black huckleberry
Gaylussacia baccata

Skunkbush
Rhus trilobata

Common snowberry
Symphoricarpos albus