Tuesday - November 13, 2007

From: Van Alstyne, TX
Topic: Drought Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Drought-tolerant plants for landscaping

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Our HOA is wanting to change the landscaping to Drought-tolerant plants and flowers. The area is Grayson County, south of Sherman Texas. What plants and flowers would you suggest? Thank you

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has assembled this list of drought-tolerant plants that are native to Grayson County. Please realize, however, for the trees and shrubs especially, initially the plants will require water until their roots are well-established.

Trees

Quercus muehlenbergii (chinkapin oak)

Quercus macrocarpa (bur oak)

Quercus shumardii (Shumard's oak)

Fraxinus texensis (Texas ash)

Ulmus crassifolia (cedar elm)

Small Trees/Shrubs

Acacia angustissima (prairie acacia)

Cercis canadensis var. mexicana (Mexican redbud)

Prunus mexicana (Mexican plum)

Rhus aromatica (fragrant sumac)

Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)

Forestiera pubescens (stretchberry)

Yucca arkansana (Arkansas yucca)

Artemisia ludoviciana (white sagebrush)

Grasses

Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss)

Bouteloua curtipendula (sideoats grama)

Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem)

Vines

Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper)

Flowers

Calylophus berlandieri (Berlandier's sundrops)

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Dakota mock vervain)

Thelesperma filifolium (stiff greenthread)

Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet)

Engelmannia peristenia (Engelmann's daisy)

Liatris mucronata (cusp blazing star)

Phyla nodiflora (frogfruit)

Salvia azurea (azure blue sage)

Scutellaria drummondii (Drummond's skullcap)