Thursday - September 06, 2007

From: Vancleave, MS
Title: Plant identification, Chinese Lantern

QUESTION:

I have a plant growing along my fenceline that I am unsure of what it is. Some ppl have said it is a rare Chinese Lantern plant. I looked that up and it doesn't match. The plant right now sits about 2 ft tall, has broad leaves, a thick stalky stem, little yellow bowl-shape flowers on the top of the leave clusters and then at the split of the stems it has a green air filled like paper-lantern looking thing hanging from it. I live in Vancleave, MS and was wondering if you might know what this plant is. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER:

Your plant doesen't sound like the Asian native Physalis alkekengi, nor does it sound like the North American native Quincula lobata (Chinese lantern). It does sound intriguing, however, and Mr. Smarty Plants would be happy to try to identify it if you would send us some photos.

Here are instructions for submitting photographs for identification:

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format, not more than 640 x 480 pixels in size, with resolution set at 300 pixels per inch.

4. Send email with images attached to [email protected] Put Plant Identification Request in the subject line of your email.

You can also read this instructions on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page in the lower right corner under "Plant Identification".