Most recently answered

Young Mexican White Oak Losing Leaves in Texas
July 13, 2016
I have a 5 yr old Mexican white oak, 20 ft tall losing its leaves mostly at the top. They turn brown & fall off. It does not lose its leaves in the winter, right?. About 3 ft from the top down is bare...

Shade Tolerant Groundcover for Texas
July 13, 2016
I live in Atascosa county in Pleasanton Texas, I have an abundance of Live Oak and Ash trees shading my property and need a groundcover for my backyard which is nothing but sand and where I have dogs ...

Manzanita Not Growing Well
July 11, 2016
Dear Mr Smarty Plants, I have a four native Dr. Hurd manzanitas growing in my yard, which I planted three years ago. Three seem quite happy with lots of foliage. The fourth has foliage only on this ye...

Promoting Monarch Habitats in Texas
July 11, 2016
My parents have a 6 acre pasture in East, TX with native milkweed in it. What are the best times of year to bush hog to promote more milkweeds & do you know of any grants to help manage land for monar...

View more questions and answers from Mr. Smarty Plants
Support the Wildflower Center by Becoming a Member today.

Native Plant Maintenance

Native Plant Properties

Native Plants