Saturday - June 23, 2007

From: Norcross, GA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Native plants for full sun in Gwinnett County, Georgia

QUESTION:

I'm writing to you from Gwinnett County Parks and Rec. at the Pinckneyville Community Center in Norcross, GA. We are looking to plant our garden and are wondering if you have any suggestions for minimal maintenance, full sun beds, preferably perennials. If you have a minute or two and could send some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER:

Here are a few suggestions for plants native to Gwinnett County, Georgia, that should do well in your garden in full sun:

Perennials:

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Oenothera fruticosa (narrowleaf evening-primrose)

Vernonia noveboracensis (New York ironweed)

Hypericum cistifolium (roundpod St. Johnswort)

Annuals:

Erigeron strigosus (prairie fleabane)

Monarda punctata (spotted beebalm)

Oenothera linifolia (threadleaf evening-primrose)

Oenothera fruticosa

Vernonia noveboracensis

Hypericum cistifolium

Erigeron strigosus

Monarda punctata

Oenothera linifolia