Thursday - March 17, 2016

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Pollinators, Shrubs
Title: Identification of evergreen bush with red berries

QUESTION:

I am a beekeeper and today I took some pictures of a bush about 8 ft. tall in my neighbors yard. My bees are all over the tiny white flowers. It appears to be an evergreen bush because it has foliage all year but it has small red berries all over it. I took some pictures but don't know how to submit them to you for proper identification. I thought it might be bear berry but I think it is too tall a bush to be that. If you give me an email address I can attach the photos from my smartphone. Sincerely, Cynthia Schiotis

ANSWER:

This sounds as if this could be the native Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon ) that is blooming this time of year and probably still has many of its red berries from last year.  Insects do like visiting its flowers.  Please check the photos below.

Yaupon

Yaupon

Yaupon

Yaupon

Yaupon

Yaupon