Suppport the plant database you love!

Wednesday - March 02, 2016

From: Dripping Springs, TX
Region: Select Region
Title: Does Possumhaw need full sun for a bountiful crop of berries?

QUESTION:

I planted a possumhaw last year in a sunny location, however as the season changed the plant became shaded by a large Ashe juniper all through the winter. No berries this winter, but it is a young plant. Do you think it will produce the beautiful red berries where it's been planted, or do you think that I should transplant it to an all year round sunny location? Thanks.

ANSWER:

Ilex decidua (Possumhaw) will produce its colorful berries in partial shade, but for a spectacular show of berries it needs full sun.  This and other tips on growing Possumhaw can be found at this web site.

Possumhaw
Ilex decidua