Suppport the plant database you love!

Monday - February 15, 2016

From: Surprise, AZ
Topic: Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Pruning overgrown Texas sage

QUESTION:

Texas sage bushes have been left to grow like mini trees. Can we have trimmed back to get a 'full' bush? Bottom 2 feet of plant look so dead. Will it sprout again as a bush if trimmed back and down properly?

ANSWER:

Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo), or Texas sage, tends to get leggy in cultivation, especially if it is growing in the shade. It sounds as though yours would benefit from a severe cutback. Now, in winter, is a good time to do that.  Even with an extreme pruning it will probably survive and sprout again and you can then tip prune to keep its shape and size in check. Also, it should be watered only sparingly and it should not be fertilized. Should it not survive the severe pruning, you might consider replacing it with one of the horticultural varieties of different size or flower color. 

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens