Friday - January 29, 2016

From: Temple, TX
Topic: Pruning, Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Evergreen privacy screen 8 feet or less

QUESTION:

In needing to plant an evergreen privacy screen, what is the tallest Ceniza variety? I'm having great difficulty finding an evergreen hedge material 8' or less. After having taken a class in planting Natives, it seems that this height is nearly nonexistent. Thanks for your help!

ANSWER:

Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo) does best in full sun where its maximum height is 8 feet.  It can be pruned to maintain whatever height you want below 8 feet.  Here is the description from Aggie (Texas A&M) HorticultureL. frutescens 'Compacta' is one variety that grows 4 to 5 feet high with a spread of 4 to 5 feet.

Other possibilities for a native evergreen shrub for a privacy screen are:

Morella cerifera (Wax myrtle ) grows 6 to 12 feet high and can be pruned and shaped.  Here is more information from Lee County Florida Extension Service.

Prunus caroliniana (Cherry laurel) can grow up to 30 or 40 feet but will make a dense shrub when pruned.  Here is more information from the Department of Agriculture Forest Service and from Mississippi State University.

You can search for the nearest nursery that specializes in native plants in our National Suppliers Directory.

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens

Wax myrtle

Carolina cherry-laurel
Prunus caroliniana