Thursday - July 07, 2016

From: Pace, FL
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Will Echinacea outgrow Spanish Needle?

QUESTION:

I'd like to plant some Echinacea in an area where Spanish Needle has been growing. I've pulled up the old plants, but I know there's seed there, actually everywhere in my yard! Is there any variety of Echinacea that is stronger that Spanish Needle? I'll pull up the Spanish needle as often as I can, but would like to think that given time, the Echinacea will win out. Thanks for any help!

ANSWER:

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. You might have an ongoing challenge with the Spanish Needle. You may need to do some extra work so that Echinacea will outgrow Spanish Needle (Bidens alba) - even though the coneflowers are a pretty tough plant. Keep pulling out the Spanish Needle, plant the Echinacea very close together, or put down heavy landscape fabric to stop the seeds from germinating might help tip the scales in favor of the Echinacea.

I am assuming that Bidens alba is the Spanish needle that you are battling. But if it is really Spanish Bayonet or Spanish dagger (Yucca aloifolia or Yucca faxoniana) then the challenge is increased.

Black samson
Echinacea angustifolia

Black samson
Echinacea angustifolia

Yellow coneflower
Echinacea paradoxa

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Tennessee purple coneflower
Echinacea tennesseensis

Common beggarticks
Bidens alba

Spanish dagger
Yucca aloifolia