Mr. Smarty Plants - Native wildflowers for Northern Indiana

Tuesday - May 08, 2007

From: Warsaw, IN
Title: Native wildflowers for Northern Indiana

QUESTION:

I had the wonderful opportunity to visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center on Saturday April 21. What a beautiful place. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I was wondering how I could find out what are the native wildflowers of Northern Indiana. I live in Warsaw, IN. It is 3 hours north of Indianapolis between South Bend and Fort Wayne. I have a lovely home in the country with all the wildlife and all the space that I need. I just planted 10 flowering trees and I have flower beds of the flowers I enjoy. The soil is very sandy but would like to know the wildflowers that are indigenous to Northern Indiana. Thanks for any assistance that you can provide.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is very happy you visited our beautiful Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and thanks you for your kind words.

On our Regional Fastpacks web page you will find the Midwest Recommended Native Plant Species List that has selected recommended species of plants for your region. The list is divided into types of plants (e.g., Ferns, Grasses, Trees, Herbaceous, etc.); and, for each species listed you will find its range (by State), its botanical and common name, and information about its size, growth requirements, bloom time, etc.

Here is a short list of some of the wildflowers that are native to your Kosciusko County, Indiana, with a few images:

Arisaema triphyllum (Jack in the pulpit)

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Campanula rotundifolia (bluebell bellflower)

Chelone glabra (white turtlehead)

Claytonia virginica (Virginia springbeauty)

Eupatorium purpureum (sweetscented joepyeweed)

Gentiana andrewsii (closed bottle gentian)

Liatris scariosa (devil's bite)

Lobelia siphilitica (great blue lobelia)

Penstemon hirsutus (hairy beardtongue)

Rudbeckia fulgida (orange coneflower)

Silene virginica (fire pink)

Symphyotrichum novae-angliae (New England aster)

Tradescantia ohiensis (bluejacket)

Arisaema triphyllum

Campanula rotundifolia

Chelone glabra

Claytonia virginica

Eupatorium purpureum

Gentiana andrewsii

Liatris scariosa

Lobelia siphilitica

Penstemon hirsutus

Rudbeckia fulgida

Silene virginica

Symphyotrichum novae-angliae

Tradescantia ohiensis