Thursday - September 08, 2011

From: Daleville, AL
Title: Wildflowers for Daleville AL
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

QUESTION:

What wildflowers will grow in Daleville AL, in almost all day sun ? Thank you.

ANSWER:

The Wildflower Center has a capability that is almost perfect for addressing your question!  If you go to the Recommended Species link under Explore Plants, you can select the list that addresses Alabama directly.  Mr Smarty Plants further narrowed the search to plants that like full sun and are 1-3 feet tall.  That gave a list of eleven plants that are pretty much all lovely wildflowers.

You should consider:   Achillea millefolium (Common yarrow), Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed), Coreopsis tinctoria (Plains coreopsis), Echinacea purpurea (Eastern purple coneflower), Monarda citriodora (Lemon beebalm), Oenothera speciosa (Pink evening primrose), and  Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed susan). That's only half of them!  I've included pictures below so you can see how they look.

Of course, our list covers all of Alabama from a few hundred mile away.  You may want to also contact the Alabama Wildflower Society, who have contact information on the Wildflower Centers list - and/or - your local office of the Univ. of Alamaba Dale County Extension.

Common yarrow
Achillea millefolium

Butterflyweed

Plains coreopsis
Coreopsis tinctoria

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Lemon beebalm
Monarda citriodora

Pink evening primrose
Oenothera speciosa

Black-eyed susan
Rudbeckia hirta