Wednesday - November 11, 2015

From: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Topic: Propagation, Vines
Title: Propagation of Texas grapes

QUESTION:

What is the best way to propagate wild Texas grapes?

ANSWER:

Native grapes of Texas include Vitis mustangensis (Mustang grape)Vitis rotundifolia (Muscadine)Vitis aestivalis (Summer grape ) and Vitis cinerea var. helleri (Winter grape).  The most widespread is Mustang grape, but it does not produce tasty fruit.  I reproduce below an excerpt from a previous Mr. Smarty Plants question on the propagation of Texas grapes.

"These native grapes may  be propagated vegetatively or by seed. I am going to reference How to Grow Native Plants by noted local author and landscape designer, Jill Nokes: a fall sowing outdoors or by cold moist stratification at 33 to 40 degrees for about 12 weeks should break seed dormancy for adequate germination. Select middle or basal wood from the current season's growth when propagating from hardwood cuttings; softwood cuttings may root readily under a 10 day mist-bench treatment. Plant the immature vine in sandy loam soil in partial shade; the plant will grow vigorously toward the light. Keep in mind that you will have to perform seasonal maintenance pruning to keep the growth in check.

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis

Muscadine
Vitis rotundifolia

Summer grape
Vitis aestivalis