Thursday - February 11, 2016

From: Salado, TX
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Vinca as a groundcover

QUESTION:

Someone told me that Vinca would be a great ground cover for my very large mostly shaded area. How can I establish it and where can I get it? Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center would not recommend either Vinca major or Vinca minor since both are native to Europe and Asia and are considered invasive because they grow and take over areas where our native plants grow.  There are several native groundcover plants that we can recommend that will do well in your mostly shady areas.

You can check our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries and seed companies near you that specialize in native plants.  Native American Seed in Junction, Texas has a few of these available.  The Wildflower Center Spring Plant Sale occurs in April 2016—April 9 for members only, April 10-11 for the general public.  Check the Spring Plant Sale page closer to the time of the sale for lists of plants available at the sale.

Texas sedge
Carex texensis

Cedar sedge
Carex planostachys

Texas frogfruit
Phyla nodiflora

Lyreleaf sage
Salvia lyrata

Lyreleaf sage
Salvia lyrata

Horseherb
Calyptocarpus vialis

Horseherb
Calyptocarpus vialis

Violet ruellia
Ruellia nudiflora

Pigeonberry
Rivina humilis