Saturday - October 24, 2015

Topic: Shade Tolerant, Shrubs
Title: Evergreen shrub for Austin TX shade

QUESTION:

I live in Austin, TX. I'm looking for a 4 season shrub for a partially shaded area that gets about 3 hours of sun towards the evening. It's mostly partially shaded.

ANSWER:

Our website shows a list of native evergreen species that you may consider for your conditions.  My particular recommendations include Garrya ovata ssp. lindheimeri (Lindheimer's silktassel)Mahonia trifoliolata (Agarita)Morella cerifera (Wax myrtle)Sabal minor (Dwarf palmetto)Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel)Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon) and Rhus virens (Evergreen sumac). Reading the descriptions of these plants will help you decide which fits your needs as regards size and appearance.  In case you need it, this online article contains tips about planting shrubs.

Most of these species should be available at your local plant nurseries. 

Lindheimer's silktassel
Garrya ovata ssp. lindheimeri

Agarita
Mahonia trifoliolata

Wax myrtle

Dwarf palmetto
Sabal minor

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Yaupon

Evergreen sumac
Rhus virens