Tuesday - October 27, 2015

From: kyle, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Precautions regarding pruning live oaks in the Austin area.

QUESTION:

Is it still recommended that we clean pruning shears and spray wounds when pruning live oaks in the Austin area?

ANSWER:

I forwarded your question to Eric Beckers who is the Staff Forester with the Texas A&M Forest Service, and this is his response.

Yes we still recommend sanitizing tools between oaks or groups of oaks, and we certainly encourage the painting of all wounds on oaks.  We also encourage the avoidance of wounds to oaks from February through June, and strongly recommend the destruction of oak wilt diseased red oaks.

The attached official pruning guidelines are for your information.  This and other preventative information can be found at www.texasoakwilt.org

Thanks for asking,

Eric Beckers

Staff Forester

Texas A&M Forest Service

He also provided this link about pruning oak trees.