Friday - November 20, 2015

From: Chappell Hill, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Identification of Bidens aristosa (Tickseed sunflower) in Texas

QUESTION:

I think the ID of the plant I submitted a description of yesterday is Tickseed Sunflower (Bidens aristosa). Thanks.

ANSWER:

Unfortunately, for some reason, we did not receive your description of a plant, but it is certainly possible that the plant you described was Bidens aristosa (Bearded beggarticks or Tickseed sunflower) since it has been reported as occurring in Burleson, Robertson, Grimes, Waller, Harris and Austin Counties surrounding Washington County (see the USDA Plants Database distribution map).

Other species of Bidens also occur near Washington CountyThey are

Bidens bipinnata (Spanish needles), occurs in counties near and adjacent to Washington County also (see USDA Plants Database distribution map),  Here are photographs and more information from Missouri Plants.

Bidens discoidea (Small beggarticks) (see USDA Plants Database distribution map

Bidens frondosa (Devil's beggartick) (see the USDA Plants Database distribution map and

Bidens laevis (Smooth beggartick) (see the USDA Plants Database distribution map.

Bearded beggarticks
Bidens aristosa

Small beggarticks
Bidens discoidea

Devil's beggartick
Bidens frondosa

Smooth beggartick
Bidens laevis