Tuesday - October 13, 2015

From: Luling, LA
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Searching for seeds or plants of Spartina patens and Distichlis spicata

QUESTION:

My daughter is researching different grasses that help stop coastal erosion. Where can we get seeds or plant plugs for salt grass and salt meadow cord grass? We live near New Orleans Louisiana.

ANSWER:

The Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation (SCCF) in Florida lists plants of Spartina patens (Marsh-hay cord grass or salt-meadow cord grass) for sale.

The Native Seed Network has listings for companies that have seeds available for Distichlis spicata (Saltgrass).

You can also search in our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries and seed companies in your area that specialize in native plants.  Many of the companies have websites with lists of available plants.  Others do not list a website but do list telephone numbers and/or email addresses for you to contact them about the availability of seeds for specific plants.