Tuesday - July 07, 2015

From: Minneapolis, MN
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Yucca Blossoming in Minneapolis MN
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I have 4 yr old yucca that sent out a five foot spike with flowers! I live in Minneapolis; is this unusual ?

ANSWER:

Congratulations! – You nailed it, your Yucca has blossomed!  As you weren’t specific about which Yucca you have – I’ve included pictures below of a few different varieties and their flower spikes.

The flowering itself isn’t unusual at all, even that it took four years to get to it.   What I might consider unusual is that the yucca would be flourishing enough to flower in Minneapolis.  In general, these plants are native to the desert southwest which has a significantly different climate!   Yucca filamentosa (Adam's needle) is the best candidate as it is found farther north, even in a few places in Wisconson.

Buckley yucca
Yucca constricta

Arkansas yucca
Yucca arkansana

Spanish dagger
Yucca aloifolia

Buckley yucca
Yucca constricta

Adam's needle
Yucca filamentosa

Soapweed yucca
Yucca glauca

Spanish bayonet
Yucca harrimaniae

Pale-leaf yucca
Yucca pallida