Wednesday - June 24, 2015

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Need help with dying clumps of Cedar Sedge

QUESTION:

Carex planostachys. This grass was planted 2 years ago in light shade. It grew well until this year. Now some clumps are dying. Others in same area look fine. No insects can be detected. Why are some plants dying?

ANSWER:

Other questions to ask that may help answer the first one are; Has the growing environment changed? How are the conditions around the growing clumps different from those around the dying clumps? 

Take a look at the NPIN page for Carex planostachys Carex planostachys (Cedar sedge), and note its native habitat and growing conditions. How do they compare with where you are growing your Cedar Sedge?

For some help closer to home, you could contact the folks at the Dallas Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT).

You may also find this article, “Sedge Lawns for Every Landscape” ,from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden interesting.

Cedar sedge
Carex planostachys