Wednesday - July 01, 2015

From: East Berlin, PA
Title: Safe to plant Wisteria frutescens near a foundation?

QUESTION:

I am interested in planting a Wisteria frutescens 'Nivea'. It will be next to a house foundation wall. Could you tell me what type of root system it has? Would it be a root that would damage the foundation wall?

ANSWER:

Wisteria species are famously agressive, woody, climbing vines.  The Asian species of wisteria have been known to choke to death large trees and destroy strong arbors.  Our native wisteria, Wisteria frutescens, is more mild-mannered than its Asian cousins, but it should still be respected for the potential damage it can do.

No wisterias -- native or introduced -- should be planted close to a foundation or septic lines.  Their roots are every bit as agressive as their tops and can cause very expensive below-ground damage.