Thursday - May 28, 2015

From: San Angelo , TX
Topic: Shrubs, Vines
Title: Flowering shrubs and vines for San Angelo, Texas

QUESTION:

Hello What would be the best flowering shrubs and vines to plant here in dry San Angelo?

ANSWER:

San Angelo in Tom Green County in Texas is in the Edwards Plateau Ecological Region.  On our Special Collections Page under JUST FOR TEXANS you can lists of common plants for each ecoregion.  There are 335 plants listed under the Edwards Plateau.  You can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option to limit the list to "Shrubs" or "Vines" under General Appearance.  Using that approach, here are a few shrubs that are possibilities:

Aloysia gratissima (Whitebrush)

Chrysactinia mexicana (Damianita)

Fallugia paradoxa (Apache plume)

Fouquieria splendens (Ocotillo)

Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo)

Pavonia lasiopetala (Rock rose)

Rhus microphylla (Littleleaf sumac)

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel)

Here are some vines from the list:

Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper)

Clematis drummondii (Old-man's-beard)

Lonicera albiflora (Western white honeysuckle)

Maurandella antirrhiniflora (Snapdragon vine)

There are other choices of both shrubs and vines from the list.

You can search for nurseries that specialize in native plants in your area on our National Suppliers Directory.

Whitebrush
Aloysia gratissima

Damianita
Chrysactinia mexicana

Apache plume
Fallugia paradoxa

Ocotillo
Fouquieria splendens

Cenizo
Leucophyllum frutescens

Rock rose
Pavonia lasiopetala

Littleleaf sumac
Rhus microphylla

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Old man's beard
Clematis drummondii

Western white honeysuckle
Lonicera albiflora

Snapdragon vine
Maurandella antirrhiniflora