From: Billings, MT
Topic: General Botany
Title: Use of the word annual

QUESTION:

Why is the word 'annual' used to describe plants with one grow season, when in all other cases it's used to describe things that reoccur year after year? i.e. Events, celebration, salary?

ANSWER:

The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants, and landscapes. In addition, Mr. Smarty Plants likes to impart knowledge when he can.
In English, often times words can have more than one meaning. From the two links below, you can see that this is the case for the word “annual”.

< http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/annual >

< http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/annual >

To keep you occupied, I would like for you to check out our Botanical Glossary and use the Search Bar to find definitions for the words 'biennial" and "perennial". You can also look in the links above.