Monday - June 22, 2015

From: Lubbock, TX
Topic: Plant Lists, Container Gardens, Xeriscapes, Drought Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Container Plants for Lubbock, Texas

QUESTION:

Hello! I am looking for plants suitable for container gardening for a west facing porch in Lubbock. Plants need to be super tough to endure the baking sun, constant wind, dry air, extreme temperatures in the different seasons, and reflected light in this location. All suggestions welcome!

ANSWER:

You are correct that plants have to be super tough to survive the extreme heat, drought and temperatures for containers on your west facing porch.

To find some possible plants, take a look at the Native Plant Database and search for Texas, Herb, Perennial, Sun, Dry and 0-3 feet in height. This will generate a large list of plants but not all will be suitable for containers. You may have to try several plants to find out what will work best in your situation.

So some plants to consider are:

Achillea millefolium (Common Yarrow) Trim to keep compact.

Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed)

Dichondra argentea (Silver Ponyfoot)

Engelmannia peristenia (Engelmann's Daisy) Has a tap root so needs a deep pot.

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie Verbena)

Lenophyllum texanum (Coastal Stonecrop)

Melampodium leucanthum (Blackfoot Daisy)

Salvia coccinea (Scarlet Sage)

Sedum nanifolium (Dwarf Stonecrop)

Tetraneuris scaposa var. scaposa (Four-nerve Daisy)

Common yarrow
Achillea millefolium

Butterflyweed

Silver ponyfoot
Dichondra argentea

Engelmann's daisy
Engelmannia peristenia

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Coastal stonecrop
Lenophyllum texanum

Blackfoot daisy
Melampodium leucanthum

Scarlet sage
Salvia coccinea

Dwarf stonecrop
Sedum nanifolium

Four-nerve daisy
Tetraneuris scaposa var. scaposa