Thursday - June 18, 2015

From: Pilot Point, TX
Topic: Water Gardens, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Evergreen perennials for a pond bank in Texas

QUESTION:

We want evergreen perennial plants for the banks of our small pond. The banks are eroding and we need to help keep them strong. We have ducks in the pond and lots of turtles. We would love something also blooms.

ANSWER:

I will start by giving you a website showing wetland plants for Central Texas.  Most of these would also be suitable in your area.  Many are perennial but not evergreen.  But some, such as Muhlenbergia lindheimeri (Lindheimer's muhly), are attractive in winter.  For plants somewhat higher (and drier) on your pond slope, check out the species recommended for your location on our Plant Database.  My specific suggestions include the evergreens Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel)Prunus caroliniana (Cherry laurel)Mahonia trifoliolata (Agarita)Ebenopsis ebano (Texas ebony)Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jessamine)Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon)Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle), any of the native iris species and Morella cerifera (Wax myrtle).  Many of these species should be available in these nurseries near Denton.

Good luck with your planting!

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Carolina cherry-laurel
Prunus caroliniana

Agarita
Mahonia trifoliolata

Texas ebony
Ebenopsis ebano

Carolina jessamine
Gelsemium sempervirens

Yaupon

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Wax myrtle