Tuesday - May 19, 2015

From: Rosendale, NY
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Wildflowers in Bloom in Hudson Valley NY in July

QUESTION:

We are hosting a rustic wedding on July 11, and we would like to decorate with wildflowers. We live in rural NY state, in the Mid-Hudson Valley, and there are many sites from which to pick wildflowers. But we can't remember exactly which ones will be in bloom the second week of July.

ANSWER:

There will be plenty of wildflowers in bloom in mid-July. A quick look at the Native Plant Database for herbaceous plants blooming in July turned up 655 entries for the entire New York State.

Some that might make good cut flowers are:

Achillea millefolium (common yarrow)

Castilleja coccinea (scarlet paintbrush)

Chamerion angustifolium ssp. circumvagum (fireweed)

Chamaecrista fasciculata (partridge pea)

Cirsium discolor (field thistle)

Coreopsis major (greater tickseed)

Echinacea purpurea (Eastern purple coneflower)

Eutrochium fistulosum (Joe pye-weed)

Euphorbia marginata (snow on the mountain)

Filipendula rubra (Queen of the Prairie)

Gaillardia aristata (common gaillardia)

Lilium superbum (Turk's cap lily)

Don't forget to ask permission before harvesting your wildflowers and be sure to leave some behind - for wildlife and to complete the plant life cycle. Best wishes for a very successful rustic wedding on July 11th.

Common yarrow
Achillea millefolium

Scarlet paintbrush
Castilleja coccinea

Fireweed
Chamerion angustifolium ssp. circumvagum

Partridge pea
Chamaecrista fasciculata

Field thistle
Cirsium discolor

Greater tickseed
Coreopsis major

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Joe-pye weed
Eutrochium fistulosum

Snow on the mountain
Euphorbia marginata

Queen of the prairie
Filipendula rubra

Common gaillardia
Gaillardia aristata

Turk's-cap lily
Lilium superbum