Friday - April 24, 2015

From: Norman, OK
Topic: Groundcovers, Herbs/Forbs, Wildflowers
Title: Groundcover Suggestion for OK

QUESTION:

I need your suggestion for a groundcover for a flower bed in the sun and in the shade in Oklahoma.

ANSWER:

There are lots of great native plants that will work as groundcovers for your flower bed. Let’s start first with compiling a list of native plants for your area. Take a look at the Native Plant Database on the www.wildflower.org website and put in the following search criteria: State = Oklahoma, habit = herb (for herbaceous) and then search for wildflowers, duration = perennial, light requirement = shade and full sun, plant height = 0-1 foot.  Most groundcovers are in the 0-1 foot category but there are some nice taller plants that will work too. This will generate a list of 72 herbaceous plants. You can further narrow the list by selecting a flower color or blooming time that you prefer. Some of the plants to consider are below. Click on the image to go to our webpage for each plant.

Oppositeleaf spotflower
Acmella oppositifolia var. repens

Canadian wild ginger
Asarum canadense

Herb-of-grace
Bacopa monnieri

Winecup
Callirhoe involucrata

Lanceleaf coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata

Dutchman's breeches
Dicentra cucullaria

Plains fleabane
Erigeron modestus

Virginia strawberry
Fragaria virginiana

Fragrant bedstraw
Galium triflorum

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Hoary false goldenaster
Heterotheca canescens

Blackfoot daisy
Melampodium leucanthum