Monday - April 20, 2015

From: Carthage, MO
Topic: Pollinators, Wildflowers
Title: Bees and Bulbs

QUESTION:

Are any of the Non-Native bulbs beneficial to bees of any kind? My Dutch hyacinths, and daffodils are so prolific; they are both single, but I can't find any information about them as sources of nectar or pollen only that "bees seem to like" or "I saw lots of bees around XXX." I have been trying to use both your databases, and the MOBOT Plant Finder to sort out good plants for both native and non-native bees; bird, hummer, and butterfly info is easier to find.

ANSWER:

There are a lot of articles online that extol the virtues of planting spring flowering bulbs in order to encourage bees.

Here are some that perhaps will give you some more information about which bulbs are the most beneficial for bees.