Friday - February 05, 2016

From: Kingsland, TX
Title: Is it illegal to collect wildflower plants from county roads in TX?

QUESTION:

Is it illegal to collect wildflower plants like bluebonnets from county roads in Texas?

ANSWER:

We can tell when Spring is coming here at the Wildflower Center because we begin to get questions about the legality of picking blue bonnets along roadsides in Texas. You, however, use the word “collect” which, to me,  means you are removing the plant and not just the flowers. Mr. Smarty Plants would prefer that you didn't remove the bluebonnets or other plants, but leave them for others to admire. This also allows the plants to set seed for next year's crop of beautiful flowers.

As to legality, here is a link to  the Texas Department of Public Safety  that says picking the flowers in the public right of way is legal, but cautions against removing plants. Picking plants on private property will subject you to laws against criminal tresspass.

This link to NBCDFW.com reiterates this message, but has lots of photos.

The History of Bluebonnets is from a previously answered Mr. Smarty Plants question which you may find interesting.

Sandyland bluebonnet
Lupinus subcarnosus