Monday - April 20, 2015

From: Sunbury, NC
Topic: Groundcovers, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Vines, Wildflowers
Title: Evergreen groundcovers for NE NC

QUESTION:

Can you please provide a list of evergreen native groundcovers for Northeastern NC?

ANSWER:

Let’s start first by looking at a list of native plants for North Carolina that are evergreens. Take a look at the Native Plant Database on the www.wildflower.org website and put in the following search criteria: State = NC, habit = herb (herbaceous), duration = perennial, leaf retention = evergreen, height = 0-1 feet.  Then select the height and light exposure that you have. This will generate a list of herbaceous plants to begin narrowing down. These plants are those that grow in North Carolina. The Native Plant Database can’t fine tune the search to NE NC. Follow this search by changing the height to include 1-3 feet if you want taller plants.  Also look at evergreen shrubs and vines as possible groundcovers too. Some of the native evergreen plants for NC are illustrated below. Follow the links to the plant pages for more information.

Also the NC Native Plant Society have a list of groundcovers on their website.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Carolina jessamine
Gelsemium sempervirens

Swamp jessamine
Gelsemium rankinii

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Little brown jug
Hexastylis arifolia

Partridgeberry
Mitchella repens

Trailing arbutus
Epigaea repens

Eastern teaberry
Gaultheria procumbens

Canby's mountain-lover
Paxistima canbyi

Woman's tobacco
Antennaria plantaginifolia

Wild blue phlox
Phlox divaricata