Tuesday - June 16, 2015

Topic: Privacy Screening, Vines
Title: Native vine for a privacy fence in Austin, TX.

QUESTION:

I have a vacant lot in Greenshores that has two 6' iron fences. Neighbor planted some sort of vine that grows up and along fence for privacy, white flowers when in bloom, I assume its Jasmine? On new opposing bare fence I would like to plant a privacy shrub/vine that is native or at least non-invasive. Drought tolerant. No irrigation on site so needs to depend on rain and drainage run-off as its in a drain easement. What can your suggest for fence row planting that is somewhat fast growing?

ANSWER:

Either Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) or Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) will work well for the use you describe.