From: Columbus, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Looking for plants for phytoremediation in Columbus, TX

QUESTION:

Hello! I am looking for native Texan phytodegrading/rhizodegrading plants (basically I want phytoremediating plants that could be left in place and not have to be removed/disposed of after they had taken up toxins). I am in Colorado County, Texas. I am looking to remediate an old trash dumping/burning site as well as a garden built with treated railroad ties and sprayed with various pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, etc. so plants that will help with any imaginable toxin are welcome. Thank you!

ANSWER:

It sounds like you have taken on a pretty big task, and I wish we could give you lots of help. However, this kind of project is outside the scope and capability of Mr. Smarty Plants.

I’m going to provide links that will help you better understand the problem(s) you’re trying to solve, and find assistance to get the job done.

TCEQ

Aggie horticulture

Companies in Texas

Zintra